I suggest you ...

Calculate the Shareholder Yield and add to the screener

Shareholder yield as per Mebane Faber "Shareholder Yield" = total dividends paid + debt repaid - debt issued + stock buybacks - stock issued divided by the market cap and expressed as a percentage. It would be a highly useful screening measure and the data is available already to do it.

71 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

gfourmoney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
        I agree having Shareholder Yield would be really useful as it better reflects the capital the company is returning to the owners than dividend yield alone. For example - see Next with their regular share buy backs - the shareholder yield is much higher than divi yield.

I am not sure I would use debt repayment / issuance in shareholder yield. I would probably stick only to transfers to / from shareholders, so: dividends, stock repurchases, stock issuances - this would be consistent with the approach from J.P. O'Shaughnessy

• JTG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have just read the Mebane Faber piece, and it really does seem significant in the US. It would be very interesting to try it in the UK, where stock buybacks have got to be a larger part of mature companies. It also seems good common sense!

Feedback and Knowledge Base